Halal and Haram Jobs in Islam | Haram Jobs in Islam | Halal Jobs in Islam | Halal Professions | Halal Earnings | Haram Business in Islam
The word “halal” is the usual term used in the Quran to designate lawful or allowed and “haram” Arabic term used for unlawful or forbidden.
There are various ways to achieve wealth. In this competitive living, huge earnings play an important role in making life meaningful. People want to compete with others through the power of money.
Earning more money is not a bad thing but in a lawful way. But it sometimes becomes a very difficult question whether our income is legal or illegal. Muslims have this question when they go for a new job or business what should we do to select a profession?
Here we will discuss some general rules about halaal and haraam sources of income and some clear haraam jobs and businesses everyone should avoid.
Check also: Halal Passive Income Ideas
Basic Rules for Halal and Haram Profession:
1. Basic Rules for Halal and Haram Jobs
Basic rules for What is a haram business in Islam?
- If you are doing a job where the major activity of the work is haraam, you can’t work for any position in that company. Let us give an example if a company is based on selling or advertising alcohol, you are not allowed to work for that company under any condition. Because alcohol is a major sin. So, if the major activity is totally haraam, you can’t work for any position in that company.
- If you are going to do a job in a company that is partially haram(mixed), you can work for a post that does not directly support or involve haram acts. If major activity is not forbidden then you can work for that company but not for that post that is directly involved in haram services. For example, if a five-star hotel is offering service alcohol, you don’t work in bars, but in other departments as a cook, receptionist, or cashier. But alcohol should not be a major service of that hotel.
- All other jobs that are fair and don’t contradict Islamic rules are halaal.
2. Basic Rules for Halal and Haram Business
- Halal business, any Business that does not contradict the Islamic teachings and rules of Shareeha is Halal and permitted. Whatever a man earns, no matter how big or little it must be halal.
- Haram business, all businesses, and trades that practice not result in a free and fair exchange of goods and services are considered prohibited and haraam in Islam. For example, bribery, stealing, and gambling. Therefore, all forms of deceit and dishonesty in business and trade are prohibited in Islam. Islam doesn’t allow any income generated by lying, cheating, or stealing.
“O ye who believe! Eat of the good things wherewith We have provided you, and render thanks to Allah if it is (indeed) He Whom ye worship.” [Quran 2, 172].
1. List of Haram Jobs and Business in Islam:
Riba is a demand for profit on the loan. If someone demands any kind of profit or interest on the loan, it is called Riba(interest/sood/سود/الرِّبٰوا) in Islam. Giving loans means helping humans just for the sack of Allah. So any business, job, or trade which takes the benefit of giving money or any other object is haram.
“Allah has made interest fruitless and charity fruitful. And Allah does not like any ungrateful evildoer.” [Quran 2, 276].
Riba is a major sin in Islam. You can’t make it legal from a different angle of thinking. You can’t make this income legal by doing it indirectly. “So when they took pride in that which they had been forbidden, We said unto them: Be ye apes despised and loathed!” [Quran 7,167].
- Any bank which is totally based on Riba, should avoid doing a job in such a bank, especially for the post which directly interacts with the Riba transactions and teachings.
- Any business which encourages Riba is haraam.
- Any trade or source of income that works for Riba is haraam.
Alcoholic and Gambling
Khamr (خمر) is an Arabic word for intoxication, defined as Alcohol. Gambling (quimar/mayser/ميسر) is haram in Islam.
“They ask you about wine and gambling. Say, “In them is great sin and [yet, some] benefit for people. But their sin is greater than their benefit.” And they ask you what they should spend. Say, “The excess [beyond needs].” Thus Allah makes clear to you the verses [of revelation] that you might give thought.” [Quran 2,219].
So any drugs-related profession is haraam.
“O you who have believed, indeed, intoxicants, gambling, [sacrificing on] stone alters [to other than Allah], and divining arrows are but defilement from the work of Satan, so avoid it that you may be successful.” [Quran 5,90].
Any business that involves any activity like selling Alcohol, serving Alcohol, drinking Alcohol, working in an alcohol company, or making Alcohol is haraam. Engaging in lottery or gambling, working for gambling activities is haram.
Bribery and Corruption
Islam is strictly against bribery and corruption.
Narrated Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn al-‘As: “The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) cursed the one who bribes and the one who takes the bribe.” [Sunan Abu Dawud].
“And do not consume one another’s wealth unjustly or send it [in bribery] to the rulers in order that [they might aid] you [to] consume a portion of the wealth of the people in sin, while you know [it is unlawful]” [Quran 2,188].
Check also: Top Gift Ideas for Muslim Girls
Any kind of pork-related business or job that involves selling pork, cooking pork, serving pork, or working for a pork hotel or restaurant is haraam.
“Forbidden for you are dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah”. [Quran 5,3].
Music and Dance
Music, Movies, Dancing, and other pornographic content is haram and prohibited in Islam. Any post for organizing music and movies is haram. Every contributor in the production of music, dance, and movies is doing a haram thing.
“Indeed successful are the believers those who in their prayer are humble and those who keep themselves aloof from Vain (words and deeds).” (Quran 23,1-3].
Women Exposing Herself
For women, any profession in which women need to expose themselves like advertising, or acting where free mixing involves like in movies and dramas is prohibited. Free mixing between men and women is not allowed.
“Say to the believing women that: they should cast down their glances and guard their private parts (by being chaste) and not display their beauty except what is apparent, and they should place their khumur over their bosoms…” [Quran 24,31].
Idols, Statutes, and Drawing Human Pictures
Any business related to a statute or idol making, selling, or marketing is haram. Idols and statutes are acts of shirk. Selling magazines, books, and posters that promote such haram things is also haram.
Read also: Can a Muslim Woman Do a Job?
Sharing Forbidden/Misleading/Porn/Shameless Content
This is a general guideline about the haram things which involve forbidden acts in Islam. You need to observe whether your income is concerned with these acts or not.
- Creating or sharing any misleading and forbidden content and objects
- Any pornographic work, support, promote, directly or indirectly is totally haram
- Creating and promoting shameless content
Future Trading in Cryptocurrency
According to certain Muslim scholars, trading in cryptocurrency is forbidden since it has no intrinsic value. There is no economic value to it, nor does it return any sort of origin.
“use of Bitcoin posed a risk of fraudulence, lack of understanding, and dishonesty.” Sheikh Shawki Allam – Mufti Of Egypt
Wo Future trading and margin trading are haram and forbidden.
Some other General Haram Acts
- Inciting people to violence
- Cheating or Scamming
- Turning people against Islam
- Future Trading in Cryptocurrency
- Margin Trading in Cryptocurrency
- Leverage Crypto Trading Halal
- Help to promote deny Allah, the Quran, or Prophet Muhammad
- Consume meat that has not been slaughtered in a halal way
- Oppressing others
There is another rising question about crypto trading. Although trading in crypto is permitted by most Islamic scholars, future trading and gambling-like activities in crypto are haraam.
If you have any questions about a specific job or business, please leave us a comment below. You will have answers from authentic Islamic scholars.
2. Halal Jobs and Business in Islam
Every other job which doesn’t involve any act mentioned above could be considered a Halal job. You can ask our scholars for any job by leaving a comment below.
Read more: Is drinking Coffee Halal?